Introduction to Vegetation Inventory
A vegetation inventory is an estimation of plant biodiversity within a defined area. Determining what mixture of trees, shrubs, and non-woody species already grow on your forest property will assist you in the process of site design and planning in two ways:
- Identify opportunities that exist already for wildcrafting
- sugar maple trees for maple syrup production
- edible wild mushrooms
- medicinal forest herbs (e.g. wild ginseng)
- natural materials for handicrafts
- Indicate the soil and other environmental conditions that help predict the suitability of candidate NTFC species.